What data do we hold, how is it collected and used?
- Account credentials: When you create an account an email address, username and password are required, enabling you to sign in to use the emoncms service. Your email address is used to verify your account, password recovery and to contact you with relevant service notifications.
- Account profile: The 'My Profile' section provides the option to enter a gravatar, name, location and bio to personalise your account. These are optional fields and are not used by emoncms other than shown in the profile section. The Timezone is used to format visualisations/graphs correctly.
- Inputs and Feeds: Emoncms stores inputs and feeds submitted to the input and feed API's and UI interface, including input & feed names, descriptions and tag/groupings. Emoncms stores timeseries data as PHPTimeSeries or PHPFina feeds, these are used to provide you with the service of data logging and data visualisation in graphs, visualisations, dashboards and apps. If you choose to make a feed public it will be accessible to read by anyone, feeds are private by default.
- Dashboard, Apps, Graph Modules: The Emoncms dashboard, apps and graph modules store configuration data required to render a dashboard, app or graph. Dashboard data contains any text and headings that you enter for use in rendering a dashboard. Dashboards are private by default but can be made public for use as public dashboards. A public dashboard will be accessible to view by anyone.
- MyHomeEnergyPlanner: MyHomeEnergyPlanner stores all data associated with projects and assessments for use in modelling the energy requirements of the building that you enter.
- My IP Module: The optional My IP module can be used to store your monitoring hardware WAN IP address for remote access, where remote access is enabled with port forwarding.
- Cookies: Emoncms.org uses session cookies to track active session e.g to keep you signed in.
- Analytics: We only record basic analytics on emoncms.org account use such as number of inputs and feeds used and the rate at which different emoncms.org API's are accessed. We use these analytics to help manage server resource use.
How do we use your data?
We use your personal information to provide the emoncms.org service to you. We store your content so that you can access it via the website, android or ios app, and so you can choose to share it.
We will not share your data with any third parties without your explicit permission (e.g unless you provide consent for use of data for research purposes for a particular defined project). We will not use your data for advertisement purposes. We will only access your data for service maintenance such as data migration and backup integrity verification and in response to specific support requests we receive from you.
We may also use personal information as required by applicable law, legal process or regulation; or to investigate and help prevent security issues and abuse.
Publicly Available Information
All emoncms.org account data is private by default and can only be accessed by yourself and emoncms.org service administrators for service maintenance. You can choose to make feeds and dashboards public if you wish to share your data and dashboards publicly.
How is your data stored?
All non-timeseries account data is stored in a MySql database. Passwords are stored as a SHA256 cryptographic hash within this database. Timeseries data is stored as PHPTimeSeries or PHPFina feeds. Emoncms.org is built on a multi-server architecture with multiple storage servers. Your timeseries data may be stored on any of these storage servers and moved between them in order to manage disk and processor resource use.
How do we protect your data?
Emoncms.org has industry-standard security measures in place to protect the data under our control against loss, misuse, destruction, and alteration including but not limited to: Account authentication with username and password login or/and read & write api-key authentication. HTTPS TLS encryption is available by default. Passwords are stored as a cryptographic hash.
How long do we store your information?
We may keep your information for as long as your account remains active and as needed to provide you with the emoncms.org service.
How can I export my data?
Feed data can be exported in CSV format from the emoncms.org feeds page. Alternatively to migrate inputs and feeds to another Emoncms server its possible to use either the backup / replication script or the emoncms sync module. Dashboards can be downloaded using the sync module or using the html editor within the dashboard module configuration page.
How to remove or update your data
Feed data can be permanently removed from the emoncms.org server at any time by logging into your account and deleting the feeds you wish to delete. To delete your whole emoncms.org account, use the delete account feature on the 'My Account' page. Your Username and email can be changed from the emoncms.org account section.
Identifying the Data Controller and Processor
The Data Controller and Processor is Megni Partnership, trading as OpenEnergyMonitor, we are based in the UK.
Data Protection Authority
The data protection authority is the UK Information Commissioner's Office, https://ico.org.uk.
Updated May 9, 2018.
Megni (Part of the OpenEnegyMonitor project)
Glyn Hudson & Trystan Lea
Intec F9, Ffordd y Parc, Parc Menai